Explore our interactive displays.
Discover the amazing secrets of the mighty barramundi at The Les Wilson Barramundi Discovery Centre, the only hatchery in the world to breed the Southern Gulf strain of this iconic fish!
From humble beginnings with second hand, donated equipment the Centre was started by a group of professional fishermen who set out to restock the local waterways with fingerlings to ensure a sustainable fishing future for years to come. They became known as the Barramundi Restocking Association.
The brand new interactive and state of the art Interpretive Centre provides the history, stories, lifecycle and habits of these sought-after fish. Discover the wetlands and mangroves and learn about the incredible birdlife and stunning southern Gulf flora.
Watch an amazing short film in our theatre – about Barramundi, the fishing industry and our wonderful community of Karumba, and hear stories from the Commercial fishermen who catch them.
Enjoy views over the saltwater lagoon, displaying flora and fauna straight from the Norman River.
Coming early 2019:
Enjoy a quality coffee or scrumptious meal overlooking the beautiful lagoon!
Experience our new purpose-built hatchery.
See how we breed our own fingerlings for the Norman River and other Gulf Rivers and Lakes.
See the amazing 1 metre plus fish!
And if you’re lucky, get to hand feed them just like in this video!
Services and Facilities
To make sure that your visit is enjoyable and memorable there is an extensive list of services and facilities available that will help you plan your ideal Discovery Centre experience.
- Disabled parking
- Disabled amenities
- Guide/Service dogs are permitted.
- Ramps, pathways and all internal areas are designed to be accessible by most transport aids
- Free admission for carers with government issued companion cards who will be performing this role during their visit
- Online ticket sales
- Visitor Information Centre
- Retail Store & Restaurant/Café
- Conference / Meeting Room
- Free car parking
- EFTPOS and ATM
- Air conditioning in foyer and Interpretive Centre
- Free WiFi
- Parents’ nursing room
- Extensive outdoor areas and large aquatic feature.